Mellody Farm Nature Preserve
Through Saturday, May 1, 2021
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - noon
Children ages 7-10 | maximum 6 people
Groups of 3 or more children can choose a Guided Program that can be adjusted to your schedule. Complete your registration online, fill out all checkout questions, and we will contact you to set up a program date and time. Program times are offered on a first come, first serve basis.
You are welcome to drop your children with us or stay for the program. Covid guidelines apply. Please wear masks!
Interested in a topic you don’t see? Please contact us to discuss developing a custom guided program.
The adventure continues with a new series of programs to connect children with the natural world and celebrate the changing season.
Discover local habitats, plants and animals through investigations and exploration.
Due to increased demand for spring programs, we can only take groups of 3 or more children beginning the week of April 5th.
We encourage you to reach out to friends, family and classmates to gather a small group and set up a program time.
Individual children will be placed in a time slot with another group as available.
Are you looking for a way to get outdoors with your children and experience the wonders of nature in spring? Lake Forest Open Lands offers two programs that help connect children with our spring explorations. Both programs are offered either guided by a field educator or self-guided.
Nature Explorers engages children ages 7-10 in discovery of winter habitat through hands-on activities adapted for older children.
The following topics are offered at your convenience, Monday through Saturday as follows:
- Animal Babies (April 12-17): Explore the many ways that different animals care for their babies as we take on the role of animal parents and young to discover how animal behavior helps animals to survive and grow.
- Earth Day (April 19-24): Celebrate Earth Day with a habitat investigation and discover the impacts of invasive species on our native habitats. Help preserve natural spaces and participate in invasive species removal.
- Amazing Amphibians (April 26- May 1): Hop and splash into the world of frogs, tadpoles and salamanders as we search for tadpoles in the pond, look for salamanders under logs and discover the many unique adaptions of amphibians.
- Maximum 6 people.
- $25 per child for a 1.5-hour program.
- You are welcome to drop your children with us or stay for the program. Covid guidelines apply, please wear masks!
- Please register and fill out all checkout questions. We will get back to you to schedule your specific time.